I will not claim that I have tasted all the Tex-Mex cuisines. But out of the about twenty that I have tasted, fajitas remain my favorite for a number of reasons.
First, the smokey aroma the wafts into the air from the restaurants make me drool.
There are a few twists to the regular fajitas that I have tasted recently. They are the oven baked chicken fajitas and the twist to the beefy fajitas. I was able to get the recipe to these twists and will share it with you. If your senses are becoming dulled of excitement from eating regular fajitas, these twists are the spark you need to reawaken your senses.
Oven Baked Chicken Fajitas
Let’s start with oven baked chicken fajitas because it is spicy and looks amazing, yet very simple to make.
- 1 sliced green bell pepper
- 2 sliced yellow onions
- 2 sliced red bell peppers
- 1 lb strip-sliced chicken breast
- 2 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 medium lime juiced
- 8 tortillas (6-inches each)
- Freshly chopped cilantro (optional)
- Sour cream (optional)
For The Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- ½ tablespoon of onion powder
- ½ tablespoon of paprika
- ¼ tablespoon of cumin
- ¼ tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1/8 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ tablespoon of cornstarch
- ½ tablespoon salt
- First of all, preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Put all the fajitas seasoning ingredients in a bowl and mix properly. Set it aside.
- Slice the onion, bell peppers, and chicken breast into strips and place them in a baking dish alongside your vegetables.
- Sprinkle the seasoning you set aside in step 1 on the content of the baking dish. Then spray the vegetable oil on the mixture. You can use your hand to toss the mixture around until you get an evenly coated mixture.
- Place the baking dish in your preheated oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Make sure to stir only once halfway through the baking.
Once it is baked, squeeze the lime juice over the content of the baking dish. Fill the flour tortilla halfway with the content of your baking dish and top with your favorite fajitas topping.
Twist To Beefy Fajitas
The twist to the beefy fajitas requires fewer ingredients but the taste will blow you away.
- 1 lb boneless beef cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 sliced medium onion
- 1 can Campbell’s® Beef Gravy
- 1 medium green pepper sliced to about 2-inch long strips
- 8 warmed flour tortilla
Place the oil in a 10-inch skillet and heat over medium to high heat. Place the beef in the skillet and cook until it brown. Make sure to stir as often as possible. Pour any fat away.
Add the sliced onion and pepper to the skillet and cook till they are tender-crisp. Add the gravy and cook until the mixture is bubbling.
Use a spoon to scoop the mixture onto your tortillas. You can top with salsa or shredded cheddar cheese or any other topping of your choice.